Thursday, June 11, 2015

Week......3?

I've honestly lost count because of all the ridiculous delays in my P-days so far haha. 

But hello again!!

I have been on my mission officially for 4 weeks!  It'll be a month on the 13th.  I have lost all concept of time and it feels like the longest and maybe shortest 4 weeks of my life.  It's funny how the mission does that to you. 

But this week was pretty good!  I've had many adventures including still riding lots of Tuc-Tuc's every day, going to different areas to talk to investigators and trying to not get eaten alive by mosquitos.  It's only working like 1% of the time.  But I'm working on that part. 

So basically because our area is in the center of the city of Reu, we travel to other areas by bus a lot to visit members and investigators there.  There's an area called Boxolma, which is an hour by bus away from the city and it's pretty much like farm country.  There are members who take the bus early every Sunday to get to church at 8:30am.  And I used to complain about the 15 min car ride for church at noon!  Humbled slap to the face on that one. 

Then we also go to this place called La Guitarra a lot.  It's basically a bunch of homes in the middle of the jungle that looks like a guitar from the air.  We visit people there a lot and it's about a 25 min bus ride.  And COVERED in mosquitos.  I'm pretty sure I've cuddled with every one of them that lives out there.  I will spare you photos of my legs.  You're welcome. :)

And then the other area is just like 10 minutes in Tuc Tuc away, but it's called La Bendicion.  It's a small group of homes surrounded by green farm land and cows.  Did you hear that?  GREEN.  FIELDS.  AND.  COWS.  It reminds me of Scotland.  I might die every time I go there.  It's gorgeous.  Pics to follow. 

But anyway this has been a very difficult but rewarding transition.  I know that no life-changing experience comes without hardship, because that's what makes you a better person.  And I feel like that is what is happening.  It's painful, but worth it.  And the biggest help is just to focus outward to others.  I've found that when I focus on how I can help my companion, my investigators, the ward, the other missionaries, etc - it is easier and I feel that happiness that comes from charity - the true love of Christ.  

I am very grateful to be here and I know that we are doing good work here and are representatives of Christ.  That has been something that has helped me a lot.  To think that I am set apart as a missionary to act as Christ would if He were on the Earth.  I'm just trying to love and serve as He would. 

I miss you all and keep praying for me and my other missionaries here!  I pray for you all every day and hope you can feel the blessings of this work we are doing. 

Love you all!!!!!!!!!!

-Hermana Layton

Ok just kidding about the photos - it's not working on this computer right now....

But next week!!  More photos. 


Also I killed a cockroach in my room this past week.  I felt very proud.  Forgot to say that. 

-Hermana Layton

Oh yeah ALSO forgot to say haha - I'm now playing the piano for my ward in sacrament meeting!  Didn't take them long to figure out that I could play.  And by "piano", I mean small keyboard with no pedal......but it still sounds ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment